The trap bar, also known as a Hex Bar, is one of the greatest innovations in strength training equipment.
The Trap Bar often called a Hex Bar, is one of the best specialty bars for building strength and developing power in the deadlift.
Our latest, designed in house model, has three core benefits that will make training with your new trap bar a dream.
- It has a built-in deadlift jack – a feature never seen before on a home gym hex bar, and is usually reserved for abhorrently expensive models. The Bells of Steel Open-Ended Trap Bar has a pair of built-in bar jacks. By rotating the bar vertically like a lever until it’s sitting on the feet of the jacks, the weight plates end up mere inches from the floor. This allows you to add and remove plates with total ease. The entire process is effortless; no longer will your trap bar be neglected and left on the sidelines simply because of the time and effort required to load and unload the bar.
- An open-ended frame – This ingenious design offers several benefits over the traditional, closed-frame design; the most important of these being, of course, access to far more movements than before. By opening up the front end of the bar, it is now possible to use your trap bar for split squats, Romanian deadlifts, weighted carries, lunges, and more, while still being perfectly balanced for your deadlifts and shrugs.
- Rotating sleeves – we firmly believe that if it’s a barbell, the sleeves should rotate. Unlike almost any other trap bar on the market, our trap bar features rotating sleeves. To keep the bar more compact for both storage and shipping, the sleeves are a little shorter than full-length barbell sleeves; however, the plate block has been made extra thin, allowing for a full 7 B.o.S.45lb iron plates to be loaded on each side. Fit even more calibrated plates with a maximum weight of 700lbs.
The Benefits of a Trap Bar (Hex Bar)
It is considered by many to be both superior and safer than deadlifting with a traditional straight bar, as the load is centred and more balanced with a Trap Bar, which puts much less stress on the spine.
Here are just a few reasons why it should be your go-to specialty barbell:
- Trap Bar deadlifts produce less strain on the lumbar spine than conventional straight bar deadlifts. This makes Trap Bar deadlifts useful not only if you have a pre-existing back injury (or if you just want to give the lower back a break without skipping their deadlift days), but also if you are a beginner who is still trying to develop baseline strength levels.
- Training with a Trap Bar develops power as well as raw strength, and the carry-over from this kind of training into other sports is undeniable – Olympic weightlifters, Strongman athletes and powerlifters, and professional athletes alike can all benefit from incorporating Trap Bar deadlifts into their training.
- Trap Bars with dual-handles like the B.o.S. Open-Ended Trap Bar, when used with the higher handles, can allow lifters with limited mobility due to an injury to still practice, perform, and perfect their deadlift. The higher handles are also useful for you if you’re having trouble keeping a flat back, as the higher starting point and shorter range of motion makes it easier to train this position and build some hip and back strength before starting to pull from the floor.
Trap Bars are just extremely versatile training tools. Standard deadlifts are only their primary use, but you can also use your Trap Bar to train:
- Farmers Carries
- Romanian Deadlift
- Single-Leg Deadlift
- Seated Deadlift
- Walking Lunges
- Split Squats
- Adding a Trap Bar into the mix is just an excellent way to spice up your training and expand upon your training variety. Trap Bar deadlifts are mechanically different than a straight bar deadlift so that they will work your hips, quads, and back differently.
You will not find a nicer, more versatile, higher-performance Trap Bar that you love at a better price anywhere, and the B.o.S. Open-Ended Trap Bar, the only economical trap bar with a built-in bar jack! See the image for the exact dimensions. 700lb warrantied weight capacity. Weighs 57lbs.